Cheesy Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, saute onion and carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, bouillon and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese and ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 418 calories, 28g fat (14g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1056mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Mar 16, 2020
No comment left
Jan 30, 2020
This is a great recipe! Since my husband is vegetarian, I used "bacon flavored" olive oil to saute the onion and carrots. Then I used veggie bullion instead of chicken and replaced the ham with sliced Litelife Italian sausage. My entire family actually prefers the veggie version :)
Jan 21, 2020
I did id not have bacon so used butter to saute veggies. Added 1/2 cup celery because I like it. This was excellent and very filling. I did notice that when reheated is was much thinner but still tasty. Will be making again soon.
Jan 5, 2020
This was a great hit at a big family get-together. Will make it again and again.
Dec 28, 2019
Used ham instead of bacon, it's a keeper!
Dec 21, 2019
Use frozen diced hash browns to speed up prep time
Nov 27, 2019
My family loves this recipe!! It's absolutely delicious!
Nov 25, 2019
This was good the first day, but the second day it was awesome after the flavors had time to meld. A hearty, delishious soup. I used 1/2
Oct 20, 2019
This is a very tasty soup! The ham and bacon combination really put it over the top! One of our favorite potato soups I have tried!
Aug 30, 2019
You will want more than one cup for a serving! Even children love this one.