As a comfy side dish, cheese grits have fantastic potential but sometimes need a flavor boost. For add-ins, try red pepper flakes, fresh rosemary or crushed garlic. —Paula Hughes, Birmingham, Alabama
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked old-fashioned grits
- 2 to 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Pepper and additional salt to taste
- Combine milk, broth and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Add salt. Whisk in grits; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, until creamy, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Season with pepper and additional salt to taste.
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. crushed garlic
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 225 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 629mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
May 16, 2020
These were easy to make and full of cheese! Delicious! I ended up using quick cooking grits because that is all that I had, and they needed a tad bit more milk.
Jan 21, 2020
It needs a little Worcestershire sauce.