Cheesy Fish Fillets with Spinach
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- Dash nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Dash white pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar or shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound cod, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in the flour, bouillon, nutmeg, cayenne and white pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted; set aside.
- Place spinach in an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Arrange fish on spinach; sprinkle with salt. Spoon sauce over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and paprika; bake 5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 16g fat (0 saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 860mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Sep 18, 2015
I have been making this dish for several years. It is delicious and easy to make. When I make it for company, I'm always asked for the recipe. I usually use mild or medium cheddarcheese--yummy. Makes a smooth, creamy sauce. Goes well with a garden salad and rice medley for sides.
Aug 19, 2013
Love this recipe. I make it with salmon and only use half the spinach called for. I also use cheddar cheese. Yum!
Feb 10, 2012
I have made this recipe dozens of times over the years. it's an easy, dependably good way to serve fish. I have often made this with chopped broccoli rather than spinach, and some family members actually prefer this with broccoli.
May 3, 2011
I am so glad this recipe was posted. I had cut this out from one of my old issues of Taste of Home several years ago and have made it several times. I think I was in the process of planning to type it up and lost the recipe and I was about to make it for supper. So relieved to find it here, because it is one of my family's favorites and all of my 6 kids love it. I like to serve it over brown rice, which stretches it a little further. When I do that, for 8 people, I triple the sauce, double the fish, and double the spinach. I have made this successfully with some substitutions: I have used both almond and rice milk, and whole wheat pastry flour. I also use tilapia instead of cod and have left out the nutmeg.
Aug 29, 2010
No comment left
Jul 24, 2010
This is wonderful... we love spinach and have lots of fish. tried this one tonight a winner for sure!
Nov 6, 2008
No comment left