Cheesy Fiesta Beef Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1 package (9-3/4 ounces) nacho-flavored tortilla chips or plain tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: Cubed avocado and sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, 6-8 minutes, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in beans, picante sauce and chili powder.
- In a bowl, combine soup, tomatoes and green chiles. In a lightly greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half the chips, beef mixture, soup mixture and cheeses. Repeat layers.
- Microwave on medium-high, uncovered, until heated through and cheese is melted, about 12 minutes. If desired, top with avocado and sour cream.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 477 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1119mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 14, 2020
Made with Dorito/salsa tortilla chips and medium picante sauce, I personally thought this was a bit too spicy for me, but my husband thought it was worth making again. The next time I will try it with plain tortilla chips (a recipe option) and perhaps a little less chili powder.
May 29, 2020
Fab recipe. I make this for my hubby and me but as it makes a lot I share with my neighbors and they all love it. I never have to worry about left overs. Didn't change anything, no need as it is so good. Did use the nacho-flavored chips which definitely added to overall goodness. I don't microwave much so did bake in the oven. Just a personal preference.
May 22, 2020
Slocook805 you need to look at grocery store. Picante sauce is in the same area as salsas.
Jan 7, 2020
I love this recipe! Instead of nacho flavored chips I used Fritos. I also added back olives like other reviewers. I will definitely make this again. Thank you for sharing
Oct 12, 2019
Black olives would really be good in this. Good flavor.
Sep 15, 2019
I notice the recipe calls for 1 cup of picante sauce. Picante in Spanish means hot as in hot chilie pepper hot like Tabasco or Tapatio. Is picante accurate or should it be salsa? I used salsa and added 2 diced serrano peppers for heat, adjusted the seasonings to our taste, including adding some ground cumin and used all pepper jack cheese and 1 can of sliced olives
Sep 2, 2019
This was easy to make and turned out yummy though I used what I had on hand: 1/2 a 15 oz can of pinto instead of black beans; an extra onion and two Roma tomatoes, chopped; one zucchini chopped and a can of Italian tomatoes rinsed really well. Also added 4 slices of mild cheddar cheese on top at the end since I was low on the cheese. A couple shakes of garlic salt on top at the end. Yum!! My girls (14 and 17) loved it too!
Jul 13, 2019
Very Good and an easy way to use a pound of meat. I added additional chili powder, salt and chopped cilantro -