Cheery Cherry Loaf
You can serve this loaf year-round— but its cherries give it a pretty Christmasy look. In addition to being a lovely gift, it's something I often include in meals at home. I have also entered my loaf in fairs, where it's always a winner. I'm a widow (three grown daughters) who enjoys baking and crafting.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
Makes1 loaf (16 slices)
- 1 jar (6 ounces) red maraschino cherries
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 jar (8 ounces) green maraschino cherries, drained and cut up
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- Drain red cherries, reserving liquid; add water, if needed, to liquid to equal 1/3 cup. Cut up cherries; set cherries and liquid aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter and cherry liquid; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in the red and green cherries, pecans and orange zest.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.