Celery Root Slaw
For a change from traditional cabbage slaw, try this easy celery slaw. It is delicious and has so much flavor.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 large celery root
- 6 celery ribs, julienned
- 1 cup julienned Swiss cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh herbs (dill, tarragon, parsley and/or chives)
- Peel and julienne celery root. Blanch for 1 minute in boiling water; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain well. Place in a large salad bowl; add celery and cheese. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs. Spoon over celery root mixture; toss gently. Chill at least 1 hour.
Editor's Note: Celery root can be planted from seed in spring and is harvested in late fall, or it may be purchased at most grocery stores and farmer's markets.