Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 3 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (1-inch cubes)
- 6 small potatoes, peeled
- 6 pieces of fresh or frozen corn on the cob (2 inches each)
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- Hot cooked rice
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a large soup kettle or Dutch oven, place the chicken, squash, potatoes, corn, carrots and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender.
- Serve over rice in a shallow soup bowl. Serve with hot pepper sauce, salt, pepper and cilantro or parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 416 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 968mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 8g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 21, 2017
Just a question. How can a recipe with potatoes, carrots, and squash have no carbs in it? Then what about the rice that it is served on?
Jan 6, 2010
I have made this several times, and I varied it a little bit each time, such as using zucchini and sometimes tomatoes. I also have used a whole cut-up chicken instead of just the drumsticks and thighs. I have varied the seasonings, too, such as using turmeric and cumin. It is a versatile recipe and always pleases my family when I serve it.
Oct 10, 2009
No comment left