Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Aug 23, 2020
This soup is so good! I did use an emulsion blender to make chunks smaller. My husband loved it!
Aug 6, 2020
Such an easy recipe and very healthy. I added garlic and onions, used 2 1/2 C chicken broth instead of water, and excluded the chicken/vegetable bouillon.
Aug 3, 2020
No comment left
Jul 19, 2020
You can use oat flour - I am allergic to wheat - and use oat flour - it works great!! Never miss the flour at all!
Jul 15, 2020
They make the soup about once a month. It’s my Favorite soup.
Jun 23, 2020
No comment left
Jun 19, 2020
Good taste, nice and easy to follow instruction even for non chefs
Jun 15, 2020
I LOVE this soup! The only things I add to it are: both green and red pepper (whole of each), an onion, a t. of garlic, and ? t Cayenne Pepper.
Jun 14, 2020
I love this recipe
Jun 6, 2020
Great basic recipe. I added 2 teaspoons Tuscan seasoning, onion, more celery, more carrot, minced garlic, and more chopped celery. Yum!