Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 220 calories, 14g fat (10g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 912mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Jul 28, 2020
I made it and it is very good, I made a mistake and instead of simmering I let it go too long and it was boiling for a while, the taste is good but please don't overdo it.
Apr 17, 2020
Delicious! I used 2 percent milk and it was still creamy. Also reduced the amount of milk by half a cup and omitted the curry and halved the amount of nutmeg. Cayenne pepper is a nice addition.
Nov 17, 2019
This soup is very good and very easy. Just the right amount of spice and depth of flavor. Made just as written.
Feb 20, 2019
Way too watery
Oct 5, 2018
Surprising just how good with soup is. Made it just as directed BUT. I needed to make it GLUTEN FREE. To do so, I used 3 Tablespoons of Mochiko Sweet Rice Flour (by Koda Farms) and upped the butter to 4 Tablespoons. This substitution does not change the directions (by the way, I don't think that regular rice flour would thicken as sweet rice flour does).
Feb 15, 2018
The flavor of this soup was delicious but the milk curdled after I added the cheddar cheese :-( What did I do wrong? I added the cheese very gradually on low heat. It was good Tillamook Sharp Cheddar. Thanks!
Jan 15, 2018
Good recipe, I sub 1can evaporated milk for 1cup of the milk, use 2 tsp dry mustard, 2 tsp nutmeg, gruyere cheese, then work in batches through a blender and add a lashing of heavy cream to finish. Great for everyday or as a first course!
Jan 15, 2018
Delicious. I used 4 cups of broth and 1 cup of half and half. Still delicious!
Dec 15, 2017
I love this recipe!! That said, I do end up at least doubling the spices because I love these flavors and like more of a punch. I also vary with the ratios of things based on what I have. If I don't have milk, I up the broth and use about 1 Cup of heavy whipping cream instead. I've made this soup several times and people eat it up. It's definitely one of my favorites.
Apr 7, 2017
Fantastic soup! Try it some day when it's cold and rainy. Or sunny!Just a really great soup!!!