Cauliflower and Ham Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cauliflower
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower and celery in broth for 4-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Do not drain. Stir in the soup, cream and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into cauliflower mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add ham; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Just before serving, stir in cheese. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 1011mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein.
May 12, 2020
What a nice little soup. Wanted to save a few calories so I did not thicken, used less cheese and no cream. Love the addition of the ham . VFE
May 9, 2018
No comment left
Apr 18, 2017
Good soup, easy to make, but needed a little something. Since I don't do celery, I sauteed a chopped onion before adding the cauliflower and broth. It really improved the flavor. We love it !
Jan 9, 2017
Very good flavor and very easy...very few ingredients but so good! Served with a cheese biscuit. Thanks, Patty! My husband and I each had a bowl and we had a small bowl left. To serve 6=8 you'd have to double or more. I also found even with the ham and cheese, it needed just a small amount of salt....maybe 1/4 tsp. Also, won't use the cornstarch mixture next time as I don't think it was needed but I would add the 1/4 c. water.
Jan 18, 2014
I really liked this recipe, I thought at first it was on the bland side, but I just went ahead and added another can of potato soup and added one tablespoon of butter. In doing so I did not have to add the cornstarch mixture. Great for a chilly winter night.
Apr 17, 2012
I made this with leftover Easter ham. I had to double it for my large family, but I loved the flavor! So good we may have to triple it just so we can have leftovers!
Apr 4, 2012
Although this chowder was easy and tasted good I was a bit disappointed after reading such rave reviews IMO it's a little bland.
Nov 25, 2011
I've made this recipe for years. I've had to increase the amounts so there is enough for my family because they all love it (my 5 year old daughter's favorite). I now add broccoli and use milk instead of cream/evap milk and it is still great.
Nov 10, 2011
This recipe is absolutely terrific. I love cauliflower and ham together. Will keep this recipe handy for special occassions.
Oct 23, 2011
Very easy. My family loved it. Reheated well too.