Cast-Iron Loaded Breakfast Biscuits
These loaded breakfast biscuits are full of hearty breakfast ingredients like eggs, bacon, mushrooms and cheese! They are perfect to bake up on the weekends, then freeze for a quick weekday breakfast. A gluten-free flour blend can be substituted for the all-purpose flour. —Courtney Stultz, Weir, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Cook and stir mushrooms, onion and garlic in bacon drippings until tender, 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan.In a small bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Pour eggs into same pan; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains. Remove from pan.In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk; stir just until moistened. Gently stir in mushroom mixture, eggs, bacon and cheese.Drop dough by 1/2 cupfuls 1 in. apart into same skillet. Bake until bottoms are golden brown, 20-25 minutes.