Cast-Iron Favorite Pizza
Cast-iron skillets are the perfect vessel for a crisp, deep-dish pizza without buying any extra cookware. Our team developed this meaty pizza, which is perfect for any time of year. — Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 package (3 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 1/2 pound deli ham, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives, drained
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine butter, eggs, grated Parmesan, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 5 minutes. Grease a 12-in. deep-dish cast-iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with cornmeal. Press dough into pan; build up edges slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, cook beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender, breaking up meat into crumbles, 8-10 minutes; drain. Spread pizza sauce over dough to within 1 in. of edges; sprinkle with meat mixture. Top with mushrooms, pepperoni, ham, olives, mozzarella and shredded Parmesan.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted, 30-35 minutes. Serve with additional pizza sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 712 calories, 42g fat (19g saturated fat), 184mg cholesterol, 1865mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 36g protein.
Jun 10, 2020
Please let your bread dough thaw enough that it changes shape, and remember a pizzeria is a warm to hot place if your dough will not stretch or roll out step away and let it warm to room temperature. This helped me I rush things to much.