Cast-Iron Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly. Beat in egg, bananas and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into banana mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Transfer to a greased 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 330 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 22, 2020
After reading the other reviews, my first try turned out perfect for me by reducing the heat to 300 and cooking for 60 minutes!
Jan 21, 2020
I glad I read Amy’s review! Same thing happened with mine, it wasn’t done in the middle after 30 minutes at 350. I cut the amount of bananas by a third, to two bananas, thinking it might help but didn’t. After 30 minutes at 350 I turned down the oven to 300 and cooked it another 20 minutes, checking it every 8 to 10 minutes. Needs bigger than a 10” skillet and maybe play with the heat and time cook. As far as the end product a slam dunk, as in with my morning coffee, five star rating, recipe is just off.
Dec 11, 2019
To fnorrisnielson: um, it tells you right in the recipe
Dec 3, 2019
I really love the idea of this and I’ve made it two times now. The problem is, it doesn’t get done in the middle. I’m using a 10” skillet. My family likes it anyway but it’s more like a molten cake than a bread. Maybe less bananas next time. Maybe larger skillet. Maybe reduce temp and cook longer. I’m going to keep trying!
Nov 20, 2019
Um, what am I supposed to do with this other 1/2 cup of chocolate chips?