Carrot Spice Thumbprint Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream together margarine and sugars until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, baking soda and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in carrots, walnuts and cranberries.
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Press a deep indentation in center of each with the back of a 1/2-teaspoon measure.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 10-12 minutes. Reshape indentations as needed. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter, cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until blended. To serve, fill each cookie with about 1-1/2 teaspoons frosting; sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftover filled cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 167 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 146mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 31, 2019
I made these for a friend who LOVES carrot cake and now he's not sure which he likes best - my carrot cake or these cookies! The cookies taste great and are a fun way to get carrot-cake flavor. I omitted the walnuts but it was still delicious. Highly recommended!
Apr 23, 2019
Made these for my family. ABSOLUTELY wonderful just as written..and with a request to put them in my dessert rotation,,and suggested i use the recipe in my bakery. THATS really something!!!
Apr 18, 2019
These are wonderful! Soft, spice is perfect! Great for the upcoming Easter holiday! I used butter in place of margarine.
Jan 5, 2019
Delicious! I did replace the margarine with butter. Great cookie that next year will be in my Christmas Cookie plates I give out.