Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- Sour cream and salsa
- Place sweet potato in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and pumpkin pie spice in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in beans and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes or until thickened. Mash beans slightly with a fork. Stir in sweet potato. Cook until heated through.
- Sprinkle bean mixture over one side of six tortilla. Top with 1/4 cup cheese and a rounded tablespoonful of chilies. Top with remaining tortillas. Cook on a griddle over low heat for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted.
- Cut into wedges; serve with sour cream and salsa.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 550 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 1017mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 21g protein.
Jul 29, 2011
Really good! I added spicy Italian sausage with a maple syrup glaze for a little extra.
May 24, 2011
Quick, easy, delicious! Great summer meal.
Apr 22, 2010
Delicious! I love making this in the summer so I don't have to heat up the kitchen. Would also be good on the grill; just make sure they aren't too full!
Sep 9, 2009
My vegetarian daughter loved this. I added the chiles and the salsa directly to the mixture and omitted the chicken broth. Adding chicken meat to the recipe would work also for the carnivores out there. What a wonderful recipe.
Dec 30, 2008
By the opening comment, It's had to believe some people only eat sweet potato at Thanksgiving. I guess they only eat turkey then also. ???
Aug 18, 2008
No comment left
Mar 14, 2008
No comment left