Cardamom Braid Bread
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 loaves (20 slices each)
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons 2% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, yeast, cardamom and salt. In a small saucepan, heat 1-1/2 cups milk, butter and honey to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Divide each portion into thirds. Shape each into a 14-in. rope. Place 3 ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with remaining milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 114 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jul 4, 2020
This is terrific sweet bread. I did use a full two teaspoons of cardamom. And I turned the pan halfway through cooking time to make sure the loaves got the same finish. Twenty-two minutes was the sweet spot on baking time. This will make fabulous french toast, the little that remains!