Caramel Pretzel Bites
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 4 cups pretzel sticks
- 2-1/2 cups pecan halves, toasted
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon shortening, divided
- 1/3 cup white baking chips
- Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil; grease foil with softened butter. Spread pretzels and pecans on bottom of prepared pan.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine brown sugar, cubed butter, corn syrup, milk and salt; cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 240°(soft-ball stage). Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour over pretzel mixture.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening; stir until smooth. Spread over caramel layer. In microwave, melt white baking chips and remaining shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over top. Let stand until set.
- Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut candy into bite-sized pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 146 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Jun 9, 2020
A 9x13 pan cut into 72 servings !!!!!! Come on ! Ridiculous.
Dec 22, 2019
Loved this recipe - it was a great hit!!! the written method needs updating - it doesn’t state when to use the condensed milk ( I figured it out ok but needs to be in there).
Dec 6, 2018
I make these every year, but use semisweet chocolate instead. Love, love, love this recipe :)
Sep 28, 2017
Huge hit at 3 different parties!
Dec 24, 2016
Excellent recipe! I love the sweet and salty combination. I broke the pretzel sticks in half. I used parchment paper because the 1st time I made them they stuck to the foil. This is my 3rd year making these addictive goodies!
Dec 1, 2016
These are delicious, but I would have either used fewer pretzels or none at all. Love caramel and pecans. Thank you for the recipe.
Mar 27, 2016
You have to use an inside dimension of 10 x 15" cookie sheet & this recipe worked great! Use a candy thermomitor.
Dec 19, 2015
I made these today and I followed the recipe. I used a candy thermometer until the caramel reached 240 deg. I do find the caramel stays sticky. I put them in the freezer now to see if that helps. I used parchment paper as carolsusan suggested. The caramel did stick to that so that's why they are in the freezer so I can cut them better. I let them set in the fridge prior. I did break my pretzel sticks in half and I would break them a little more next time. I also think I will cut back a little on the pretzels. Other than the caramel not being as firm as I would like ( a little gooey) these are very good and I will make them again. Oh and I melted the MILK chocolate chips. I never ever have good luck melting those for some reason and it was a sticky stiff mess that I threw out. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips instead. Semi-sweet chips melt better for me. Thank you for sharing this recipe.
Dec 8, 2015
These are fantastic. The only thing I would do different is chop the pretzels up a bit. The caramel was good but tends to get sticky when left out so I have refrigerated them and take them out to let the warm up a bit before eating. Maybe putting them in a bit bigger pan or on a cookie sheet will make them thinner and the caramel not so thick. But they were delicious!!
Jul 17, 2015
These are awesome! Never made candy before so it takes a while to get the caramel to the right consistency. Would definitely make these again. I ended up freezing half for another time.