Caramel Dumpling Pudding
I found this recipe handwritten into an old cookbook of my mom's, who was born in 1897. We like to eat this old-fashioned dessert warm, topped with cream, ice cream or whipped cream. -Marianne Ryan, Lyons, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch each nutmeg and salt
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Ice cream
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water and 1/2 cup brown sugar to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and milk just until blended. Stir in the remaining brown sugar. Fold in raisins and walnuts. Drop by spoonfuls over sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Spoon into dishes. Serve with ice cream.