Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 wooden sticks
- 8 medium tart apples
- Unsalted peanuts, chopped
- In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, corn syrup and milk; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 248° (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Insert wooden sticks into apples. Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture; turn to coat. Set on waxed paper to cool. If desired, roll the bottom of the dipped apples into chopped peanuts.
Nutrition Facts1/2 apple: 388 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Oct 31, 2019
Good flavor BUT just ruined entire batch of apples because the recipe is inaccurate! DON’T boil to 248 hard ball as NO ONE can actually eat the rock hard candy coating!!! Keep the temp down so it stays the consistency a caramel apple should be, unless you want to pull your teeth out!! So disappointed - can’t even give to g’kids ??. Waste of time
Nov 15, 2015
Very yummy! We had some left-overs, so we have been enjoying the caramel today! Thanks for sharing!
Nov 1, 2013
This was an accessible caramel recipe and was absolutely delicious!
Aug 4, 2013
No comment left
Nov 8, 2012
The flavor of the caramel was wonderful. We rolled some in nuts, some in Heath bits, and some in chopped chocolate chips. Everything was great except the Heath bits;made it too sweet. This is a great recipe and I will make it again.
Oct 7, 2012
You have to wash/spray apples in very hot water for a minute or 2 to get off waxy film from grocery store...then caramel will stick! :)
Oct 3, 2012
There is only one problem - how do you get the heavy spray off of the apples that they use to preserve them. The caramel will not stick of you don't get this off.
Apr 27, 2012
Followed the recipe except I chopped some peanuts to roll them in - they didn't stick to the wax paper that way. Caramel was perfect, not hard, not too soft. My family loves them and I will be making these again! :)
Oct 30, 2011
The caramel for this recipe if awful. It was so hard there was no biting into the apple. And they certainly did stick to the wax paper. Bad recipe. Don't waste your time or money.
Oct 27, 2011
These were yummy and I would make them again. I did have 1 problem though. The wax paper would not come off the bottom. So I had to warn everybody that tried them that there were pieces stuck to the bottom