Caramel Apple Walnut Pie
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge of plate. Arrange apples in crust; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the corn syrup, sugar, butter, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Pour over apples.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in top.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325°. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the topping ingredients. Cook and stir over low heat until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Place pie on a baking sheet. Pour topping over top crust. Bake for 3-4 minutes or until bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 462 calories, 22g fat (10g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 337mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 20, 2016
I made this for Thanksgiving last year along with Pumpkin, that everyone wanted. Well, once they tasted this, they all wanted a slice and are asking for it again this year. Truly a spectacular pie!
Dec 22, 2013
I just made this pie for the third time and it was as outstanding as the first. The filling jelled nicely, holding the fruit together for a beautiful clean slice. The caramelized walnut topping makes it a winner!
Nov 14, 2011
My husband gave it a big thumbs up.He said it definitely was a keeper.He is my best critic.I give it 5 stars
Nov 11, 2011
Absolutely Excellant! This is a must have for the recipe box! Its something that reminds me of my grandmother. An old fashioned tasting delicious apple pie. Perfect comfort food!
Mar 18, 2011
I have made this recipe NUMEROUS times and everyone still begs for it =)