Candy Apple Pie
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lime juice. Combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt; add to apples and toss lightly.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust and trim even with edge; fill with apple mixture. Dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges; cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender.
- For topping, melt butter in a small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in pecans.
- Pour over top crust. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until bubbly. Place on a wire rack. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 476 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Apr 7, 2019
When do you add the onion mixture?!
Dec 28, 2018
The best apple pie ever! So easy to make..
Oct 1, 2018
Nov 15, 2017
Best Apple pie I ever did taste!
Jan 25, 2017
this recipe looks good!!!
Nov 25, 2014
I have made this pie 3 times now. The last 2 times I didn't even bother making the topping, it is just as delicious without it. I use 4 large Gala apples & might sneak in a 5th the next time I make it. It freezes well, so it's a great pie to make in advance. I also substitute lemon juice for the lime & only use about a tablespoon. Another reviewer stated you need to cook the apples before adding them to the pie. But I never have & it has turned out perfect every time & I bake it exactly as the directions state.
Oct 22, 2014
I have been making this pie since I first saw it many years ago in Taste of Home. It was the only apple pie my mother would spend her calories on. My mom has gone to heaven, so now I think of how much she enjoyed it , and usually I make it only for the holidays now. I use one pear and at least two different varieties of apples.
Jun 29, 2014
I highly urge you to bring the apples and sugar and cinnamon and flour to a boil until the apples are tender!!! ---then put in pie crust. I also add some apple cider or apple wine to boil the apples in. If you don;t do this it will take 2 hours to bake!! Excellent texture and wonderful pie.
Feb 7, 2014
Dec 9, 2013
Loved it! Just added a scoop of vanilla ice cream and it was the perfect sweetness! Very easy to make also.