C Is For Crayon Cookies
On a school party platter or in a lunch sack, these creative treats are sure to "draw" attention! The mild lemon confections get their colorful look from simple tinted frosting.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting
- Red, green and blue gel food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the lemon zest and extract. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Shape dough into a 5-1/2x2-1/2x2-in. rectangle. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices; cut each slice lengthwise into thirds. Cut one end of each rectangle to form a point. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place 1/4 cup frosting in a small bowl; tint red. Repeat with green and blue food coloring. With the remaining white frosting, frost center of each cookie.
- Cut the corner off a pastry or plastic bag; insert round tip #2. Fill bag with red frosting. On a third of the cookies, pipe red lines around edge of white frosting. Pipe "Red" in the middle. Frost pointed end of cookie. Repeat with green and blue frosting and remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 213 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.