Buttery Coconut Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, brown sugar and salt; stir in 1 cup melted butter. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until light brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 325°.
- In a large bowl, whisk the first 7 filling ingredients until blended; stir in 3 cups coconut. Pour over crust; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Bake until light golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with parchment, remove from pan. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 211 calories, 12g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jun 25, 2020
These were so good but sooooooo rich!
May 7, 2020
Delicious! It turns out looking and tasting heavenly. My family loved. I will be baking it again with the Our traditional Kahk for the Ramadan Bayram. I used unsweetened coconut and for us this was ideal as there’s a few sugary ingredients already.
Feb 16, 2020
LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
Feb 10, 2020
Absolutely delicious! My husband loved them. So easy to make. Instead of 3 tsp of vanilla, I used 1 tsp almond extract and 2 tsp vanilla. Heavenly
Feb 9, 2020
To make them less sweet, I mixed half unsweet coconut flakes and half sweet coconut flakes. It turned out wonderful. I also made another batch with all unsweet coconut flakes and I like that as well. I am not into overly sweet desserts.
Jan 1, 2020
These are a big hit at my house, even my husband who isn't fond of coconut enjoys them. He took them to work recently and they cleared the plate in no time. He said they were a BIG hit with his co-workers.
Dec 23, 2019
I dont even like coconut but this was pure insanity. 2 ideas. Next time 2 tablespoons of lemon zest. After that,mini chocolate chips.
Dec 3, 2019
I made these today, and I have to say, they turned out amazing! If you follow all of the instructions to the tee, and make sure you cool them for at least 45 minutes, they will not be doughy; they will have a bar like consistency! I am definitely going to recommend this recipe to all of my friends and family!!
Oct 21, 2019
Very rich and decadent. We really liked them, thanks for the recipe!
Aug 16, 2019
Oh my! I just tried this recipe for an event and it was delicious!! I was a little concerned about the quantity of butter on the crust but went right ahead. The bars were wonderful!!! I didn’t feel like messing with the parchment so I just buttered my pan. They cut easily and came right out. Thanks for a great recipe. This one is a keeper for sure??