Butterscotch Sandwich Cookies
Butterscotch lovers will go crazy for these cookie-jar classics. The brickle toffee bits in the filling are a deliciously fun surprise. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brickle toffee bits
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 5-7 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Remove from heat; cool to room temperature.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl; beat in confectioners' sugar, cream and vanilla until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Stir in toffee bits. Carefully spread on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies before filling in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Fill as directed.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 159 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.