Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from the heat; add flour and stir until smooth. Stir in brown sugar. Return to heat; stir in milk and salt until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir about 1 cup hot filling into the egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vanilla. Pour into crust.
- For meringue, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a small bowl on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 487 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (56g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 28, 2019
FUDGE! *Notice in the ingredients it says *PRE BAKED* crust. Key word is prebaked ??. My daughter and i didn’t catch that and so the meringue was done before the crust. Let our mistake be a ?? warning.
Oct 12, 2019
This was pretty good, but the second time I made it I used dark brown sugar, and I substituted 5 TBSP corn starch instead of using flour. I also used half 'n half instead of milk. In some of my cream pies I use 1/2 whipping cream (from a carton, not redi whip or something like that) and 1/2 half 'n half mixed together and then added to the recipe. We love butterscotch anything around here. Penuche is one of our favorite holiday treats! The only time I make homemade pie crust now that I'm getting older is for holiday baking. I'm just too lazy to do it all the time. Too much rolling pin action!
Apr 20, 2019
Have been making this pie now for several years. It’s a must have for Holiday meals at our home. As a volunteer field editor I enjoy testing out new recipes. This one is bookmarked because I make it so often!
Dec 24, 2018
I followed this recipe to the letter, and it came out perfectly the first time, and everytime afterward! Best butterscotch I've ever had! Thanks!
Oct 23, 2018
I am not an avid baker; but I a made this for my brother who loves butterscotch pie; he said it was the best he has ever had. He typically always had it made with butterscotch pudding and cool-whip; I decided to give this a try! Also, if you don't have a handy dandy kitchen aid mixer; you can make this with a hand whisk; just make sure to use a glass or stainless steel bowl and give yourself 15-20 minutes in beating time. Bring some muscle endurance ;0)
Feb 5, 2015
Wonderful Pie! But it took quite a while to thicken. Has anyone made this using the microwave? Also, although this is very sweet, I whipped marshmallow cream in the meringue before cooking it. It certainly satisfied our sweet tooth! My husband and I ate the whole pie in less than 24 hours!
Jan 21, 2015
I used dark brown sugar and cashew milk and turned out delicious!!!
Jan 7, 2015
A lady at work made this and i loved it so i got the recipe from her, which is this one. The first time my mom and i made this, it tasted too floury. I asked the lady at work and she said she used Eagle Brand milk instead of whole or 2%. So we made it again, and it tasted wonderful....but you could easily use it for caulking, it was so thick. Does anyone know what we screwed up on again? At least the taste was better the 2nd time, it would just seal your mouth shut.
Dec 21, 2014
I know what missy40 did wrong she didn't cook the butter and flour mix (rue) long enough that is the key part of this recipe
Nov 30, 2014
Excellent! Made exactly as written. This is my 4th time making this recipe as it is always a favorite. Turns out perfect every time! Not sure what Missy did in her 2012 post ... Maybe to much flour? Lol. Great. Recipe