Butterscotch Pecan Slices
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup pecans. Shape into two 7-in. rolls; wrap each and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with remaining nuts; press gently. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 50 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 6, 2015
Pretty good, but I thought slightly lacking in butterscotch flavor - I would make some sort of adjustment next batch.
Jul 24, 2012
WOW! These were fabulous! A great introduction to ice box cookies (my first batch). We made them with real butter and I can't see another batch made with margarine turning out as nice. Had to add about a 1/4 cup more flour to mine, but that's completely dependent on the day's humidity, not the recipe. I found this made about a dozen more than the recipe claims, but my 7" logs might have been long... The cookies were starting to turn brown after 8 minutes, so be watchful while they cook. HINTS that I discovered: Cut open an empty paper towel roll or multiple toilet paper rolls to create a sleeve to keep the dough in while in the fridge - keeps the dough round. And, when cutting the cookies, rotate dough by 1/4 turn after each cut to keep the log round. Thanks for the great recipe!
Jun 7, 2011
These remind me of old fashioned ice box cookies that my Mom always made year round. Yum!!!
Oct 25, 2010
what a great cookie....thanks for your recipe!
May 12, 2010
A nice little "ice box" cookie, as my grandma would have said. The dough keeps very well in the refrigerator. If you want to "fancy them up", sandwich two cookies together with browned-butter frosting---rich!