Butterscotch Basketball Cookies
I didn't need a special basketball player cookie cutter to shape these sporty cookies—gingerbread men cutters make the team! I like this cookie's rich taste better than that of a basic sugar cookie. —Sharon Landeen, Tucson, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Paste food coloring
- In a microwave, melt butterscotch chips; cool for 10 minutes. In a bowl, cream butter and sugars. Add egg, milk and vanilla; mix well. Beat in melted chips. Gradually add flour; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-1/2-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter and a 3-in. round cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 1 minute; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine shortening, water, flour and vanilla in a bowl; mix well. Gradually beat in sugar. Place 1 cup frosting in a plastic bag; cut a small hole in corner of bag. Pipe shirt and shorts on players. Fill in outline and smooth with a metal spatula. Tint 1/4 cup frosting black; place in a plastic bag. Pipe lines on round cookies to create basketballs; pipe hair, eyes and noses on players. Tint 1/4 cup frosting red; pipe a mouth on each player. Tint remaining frosting to match team colors of your choice; pipe around shirts and shorts and add a letter on shirts if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 352 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.