Burst o’ Lemon Muffins
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lemon or vanilla yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, beat the yogurt, egg, butter, lemon zest and lemon juice until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, combine the lemon juice and sugar; cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Stir in coconut. Using a toothpick, poke 6-8 holes in each muffin. Spoon the coconut mixture over muffins. Serve warm or cool to room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 232 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 246mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jun 18, 2020
This is a really great recipe and I made delicious muffins. They’re kind of like pound cake. I added 2 tbsp lemon juice to the yogurt to make it “lemon yogurt” and 2 more tbsp lemon juice for that extra lemony flavour. Still didn’t have enough lemon flavour so next time I’ll be adding a few more tbsp and extra zest. I also added 3 tbsp of vegetable oil so it’d be extra moist. And it was delicious, moist, melt in your mouth lemony goodness!
Jun 2, 2018
Love, love, love these! They have been appearing regularly at our house.
Mar 11, 2018
These are scrumptious! The only "change" I made was subbing 8 oz. of sour cream, flavored with 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract & a tablespoon of sugar, for the yogurt, since that's what I had. These were very most, with a fine crumb. I think having one with a bowl of berries would make a fine breakfast. Thanks for such a great recipe!
Jan 29, 2018
These were very good. I didn't have lemon yogurt so I added 2 tbsp. of lemon juice to some plain yogurt and that worked just fine. They are more of a dessert muffin than for breakfast and I will definitely make them again.
Jun 26, 2017
We love the refreshing taste of lemon and coconut here. Will fix these again!!
Jan 23, 2017
These were very tasty. I think I will try them without toasting the coconut next time. I love coconut, but toasted made it a bit overwhelming for me. I will make them again.
Sep 25, 2014
These are very flavorful. I think they can also be served as a light dessert.
Jun 15, 2014
These are a very delicious muffin. Love the addition of coconut. Will definitely make again.
Jun 2, 2014
Amazing! Made exactly as directed, using vanilla yogurt. Beautiful silky crumb and nice slightly tart kick from the glaze. Will be making these often!
Mar 25, 2014
Omg I love these! So easy and so delicious. I hate coconut so I just omit it and use a simple syrup glaze with fresh lemon juice for a topping,. They are wonderful and I highly recommend