Budget Macaroni and Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour, salt and pepper; stir until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Drain macaroni. Add to the cheese mixture; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 412 calories, 20g fat (13g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 437mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Jun 8, 2019
No comment left
Dec 19, 2017
awful, sticky, tasted like paste
Jan 11, 2015
We made this for Thanksgiving (just the 2 of us). It was good. I definitely think the flavor should be kicked up a notch when making it again as it did taste a little too much like flour. :)
Feb 17, 2014
I added extra 1/2 cup of pepper cheese and kicked the flavor up a bit. Also put it under the broiler for a few minutes for a little extra crunch.
Dec 9, 2012
Good and easy to make.
Dec 4, 2012
After making this recipe we tasted too much flour and not enough seasonings and cheese.
Apr 23, 2012
No comment left
Dec 31, 2011
Nothing special. More like a box recipie.
Aug 10, 2011
I made this recipe for my teen son and I for dinner tonight, and it was delicious.
Jul 10, 2011
Just made this to bring for a cookout. It turned out delicious as is but to give it a little more of a kick I added some sour cream, paprika, and ground mustard. I also topped it with extra cheddar cheese!