Brunswick stew dates back to the 1860s, when it was served as a complete meal. We now use it as an accompaniment to barbecues. It is delicious picnic fare when served with country ribs, coleslaw or potato salad. When I make this stew, I double the recipe and freeze small portions so we can enjoy it at several meals. —Alyce Ray, Forest Park, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Cook: 1 hour
- 1 pound bone-in pork loin chops
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, skin removed
- 1 pound beef top round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 6 cups water
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (14-3/4 ounces each) cream-style corn
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place pork the chops, chicken and round steak in a large Dutch oven; cover with water. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Strain stock into another large kettle; refrigerate overnight. Remove bones from meat; dice and place in a separate bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, skim fat from stock. Add the tomatoes, onion, tomato sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic and pepper sauce. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Add the kernel corn, cream-style corn, reserved meat; heat through. Stir in bread crumbs; season with salt and pepper.
Brunswick Stew Tips
Is Brunswick stew from Brunswick, Georgia?Where Brunswick stew originated from is still up for debate. Both Brunswick, Georgia and Brunswick County, Virginia claim that they were the birthplace of this famous stew. North Carolina's name has been tossed around as an originator, too. We guess just like eggs Benedict and Cobb salad, this rivalry will live on!
What is Brunswick stew made of?Due to the birthplace debate, there is no official recipe for Brunswick stew. But, it typically boils down to a tomato-based stew filled with veggies and meat. "Georgia style" includes pork and is a bit spicer in comparison to "Virginia style" which typically includes chicken. In this variation, we use pork loins and steak for meat, onions and corn for veggies. If you're planning on making a beef version, just make sure you're using the right beef stew meat.
What goes with Brunswick stew?Brunswick stew pairs well with ribs, coleslaw, potato salad and baked beans for a truly Southern-style meal. Check out some of our other favorite Southern comfort foods that would pair just as well, too!
How long is homemade Brunswick stew good for?Brunswick stew is good for up to 5 days in the fridge. If you'd like to enjoy your stew for longer, you can freeze Brunswick stew for up to 2-3 months in an air-tight freezer container. Follow these freezer tips to ensure your stew comes out as fresh as can be.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 151 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 348mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Apr 6, 2012
This is not therecipe I use . It's good but needs more ingredients , baby limas, green beans , Liquid smoke for flavor , a couple of dashes of hot sauce also helps . Thank you , Derrell
Jan 7, 2009
No comment left