Brown Rice with Cranberries and Almonds
I'm always looking to switch things up during the holiday season. This brown rice with cranberries and almonds dish fits the bill. It is on the lighter side and uses ingredients I always have on hand. —Joan Hallford, North Richland Hills, Texas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup minced fresh parsley, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a simmer; reduce heat to low and keep hot. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add rice, bulgur and almonds; cook and stir until rice is lightly browned and has a nutty aroma, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Stir in cranberries, 1/2 cup parsley, green onions, salt and pepper. Stir in hot broth. Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes longer. Remove from oven and fluff with a fork. Cover; let stand 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining parsley before serving.