Brown Rice Stuffed Peppers
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 5 to 6 medium green peppers
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Remove tops and seeds from peppers. In a large kettle, bring water to boil; cook peppers for 5 minutes. Remove and drain. Cook rice according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, herbs, salt and pepper; cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat. Spoon rice mixture into peppers. Place in a shallow ungreased baking dish or casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 245 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 424mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.
Feb 15, 2018
Used brown rice, and didn’t have tomato sauce so I used about 1/2 bottle of spaghetti sauce- not by choice though. We always use red peppers; chop and saut? the tops and add to filling. Good, filling, and simple to make.
Jul 17, 2012
This was great! I added some salsa and a can of black beans! My husband and I finished off the whole recipe by ourselves :)
Feb 4, 2012
Needs a little more tomato sauce and some mozzarella cheese to top it off, but it was a great recipe for my first attempt at stuffed peppers!
Sep 18, 2009
No comment left
Jul 14, 2009
This sounds like the green peppers my dad used to make.He's gone now so I can't get the recipe from him, but I'm sure going to try this one !! Thank you !
Nov 2, 2006
No comment left