Brown Rice Hot Dish
Dolores Kastello of Waukesha, Wisconsin enhances instant brown rice with celery, onion, mushrooms, seasonings and chopped pecans. With its stuffing-like flavor, this fluffy rice dish makes a perfect accompaniment for chicken or turkey.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups instant brown rice
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a nonstick skillet, saute rice in half of the butter until golden brown; transfer to a large bowl. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery and onion in remaining butter until tender; add to rice. Stir in the water, pecans, salt, marjoram, pepper, sage and thyme.
- Transfer to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 149 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 340mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Jun 13, 2011
I had to omit the mushrooms and pecans due to picky people in who live here, but it still was very good. The pecans would make it better, though! I would make it again.