Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-5 tablespoons ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to an 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked crust with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake 5 minutes; remove foil. Bake 5 minutes longer; remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 375°.
- Sprinkle bacon, cheeses and onion over crust. Beat remaining ingredients until blended; pour over top. Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 709 calories, 60g fat (35g saturated fat), 290mg cholesterol, 980mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 19g protein.
Apr 19, 2020
Absolutely perfect. I wish I could add a picture of it. I added one clove of garlic, 1/3 cup of diced tomato, and used milk with butter instead of heavy cream (only because I didn't have any). Well it turned out divine. Even my 18month old ate a WHOLE SLICE. My hubby always says "Can I make a suggestion without you getting upset?" when I make something new. This time he said that, but his recommendation was "make it more often." Big hit for the Mooney family!
Apr 18, 2020
Delicious! My family wolfed it down! I did sautee the onions before I put them in the crust and it was perfect. I used whole milk instead of cream because I didn't have any and it turned out perfect!
May 9, 2019
This was a lovely addition to our "breakfast-for-dinner" short list. It was rich,filling with a creamy texture we loved. My only problem was that it made more filling than I had room for in my pie pan, The recipe allows for variation of ingredients. I will certainly use this again. Especially for company.
Jan 1, 2019
One of our favorites!! Love that it only takes 4 eggs and Cooks to perfection every time. Can be customized to your own taste, alternate or add additional meats and vegetables. Add herbs of choice.
May 2, 2017
Great, not too eggy, saute onions first. Next time, smoked salmon and herbs.
Mar 8, 2017
This appears to be same the same recipe as the one in the out of the old Betty Crocker Cookbook and wonderful. I am going to try with regular milk and mushrooms, good ideas
Mar 2, 2017
Awesome recipe. While the crust was baking, I carmelized onions instead of just putting them in raw. Then added mushrooms (like one of the variations) and let them saute for 1 minute. I didn't use 2 cups of the whipping cream . It would have overflowed the pan. While I really didn't measure the cream, I probably only used 1 cup. AND I made this vegetarian and didn't add the bacon.
Feb 28, 2017
This quiche is sooooo good!!!! Would do nothing to change it!
Feb 18, 2017
Best quiche ever. I have always relied on my Quiche Lorraine recipe but not anymore. This is the new "go-to" quiche. Creamy and dreamy!
Jan 30, 2017
Excellent quiche! Came together quickly and smelled divine while baking! I made two and brought one to my parents who also raved about it! Will definitely add this to our rotation.