Breakfast Nut Roll
This is one of my favorite recipes that I have been making for years—I even won a prize for it years ago. It's special not only because it tastes so good, but because it was passed down to me by my dear aunt.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cups plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until crumbly; set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand 5 minutes. Beat egg yolks; add to yeast mixture. Stir gently into flour mixture to form a smooth ball.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12x8-in. rectangle. In a small bowl, beat egg whites and vanilla until stiff peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Spread over each rectangle; sprinkle with nuts.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with short side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cut a deep slit down center of each roll (do not cut through).
- Immediately bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with confectioners' sugar while warm. When completely cooled, slice diagonally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 192 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.