Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound uncooked bratwurst links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 12 slices American cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble bratwurst with onion and carrot over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in beans, jalapeno, pepper and broth; bring to a boil. Whisk together flour and 1/2 cup milk until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes. Gradually stir in remaining milk. Add cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 468 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 1322mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 6g fiber), 25g protein.
Jul 2, 2020
Very good! I made the recipe as written except I left out the jalapeños- did not have any. Will make this again. Joyce Moynihan. Volunteer Field Editor
Jan 10, 2019
Jan 8, 2019
Made this exactly as listed, turned out great! Was a hit with the family. We’ll try it with different flavors of brats next.
Dec 18, 2018
Absolutely delicious! Didn't have Navy beans so used cannellini beans and a little more jalapenos as we love things spicy. Will definitely be making this often.
Nov 20, 2018
Made this Bratwurst Soup close to the listed recipe and it was good. I was surprised how creamy the soup was. Only modifications I made were I only had about 5 pickled jalapenos which I diced, didn't have navy beans, so I diced a small potato and par boiled it and a pinch of caraway seed which was added just prior to when the broth was added. I used deli sliced American Cheese.
Feb 3, 2018
It was GREAT !, Yes, I did alter it a bit. I reduced the pepper and added Tabisco - Chilpote flavor - 1/4 teaspoon.