Bratwurst Burgers with Braised Onions
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 cup dark beer or chicken broth
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound uncooked bratwurst links, casings removed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 8 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in beer. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and liquid is almost evaporated. Remove and keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine beef and bratwurst, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick patties.
- In a shallow bowl, mix egg and milk. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow bowl. Dip patties in egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture to coat.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook burgers 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° for medium doneness and juices run clear, topping with cheese during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking. Serve burgers on buns with mustard and onion mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 659 calories, 36g fat (13g saturated fat), 145mg cholesterol, 1409mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 32g protein.
Jul 2, 2020
The men in the family would give this burger a "10" if they could! My husband said you could taste the difference in this burger in the first bite. I sautéed the onions but not the peppers. The caramelized onions tasted great on top of the burger and some of us put a horseradish mustard on top. I made this stove-top, not charcoal-grilled, but the burgers would be great either way. Keeping this recipe and will absolutely repeat!
Apr 26, 2020
This was delicious! Never had anything like this before for sure. The pepper and onion mix was really good. I think I might make again grilling the burgers instead of frying.