Braided Cardamom Rings
Most Christmases, I'll take one of my rings to my husband's family and one to my family. Of course, I make sure to keep enough at home, too. They look so festive with the colorful cherries. Bill and I have two girls, 8 and 2. -Jo Learman, Caro, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes2 coffee cakes
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2-1/2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8-3/4 to 9-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- LEMON ICING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Red and green candied cherries, halved, optional
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add the milk, butter, egg, sugar, cardamom and salt and 6 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and divide in half. Divide each half into three portions. Shape each portion into a 24-in. long rope. Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Form into a ring; pinch edges tightly together. Repeat with remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire racks.
- For icing, combine the confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; spoon over rings, allowing icing to drizzle down the sides. Decorate with cherries if desired.
Editor's Note: Rings may be iced and served warm if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 231 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 93mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.