Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Hot cooked spaghetti, optional
- Flatten steak to 1/2-in. thickness. Rub with 1 tablespoon oil. Combine the bread crumbs, parsley, cheese, garlic, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spoon over beef to within 1 in. of edges; press down. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; tie with kitchen string.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in remaining oil on all sides. Add onion and cook until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, water, Italian seasoning, sugar and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 70-80 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from sauce and discard string. Cut into thin slices; serve with sauce and spaghetti if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 slice: 330 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1028mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein.
May 5, 2020
This was my first time making! It was just delicious. I had 1/2 the stuffing left over to save for another day. In the future, will cut back on the amounts needed to stuff
Jan 19, 2016
Nov 11, 2011
This was my first braciole.My husband is italian and he said it was "better than his mother's"!It was easy to prepare and so moist and delicious. This was even better the next day.Thank you for sharing.