Blueberries and Cream Coffee Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup fresh or frozen unsweetened blueberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beating well after each addition. Fold in blueberries.
- Spoon half of batter into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, pecans if desired, and cinnamon. Sprinkle half over the batter. Top with remaining batter; sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture. Cut through batter with a knife to swirl the brown sugar mixture.
- Bake at 350° until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 55-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 428 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 233mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 8, 2020
This is the perfect addition to brunch. Made this for a coffee date visit to my grandma, and it was just perfect. Will definitely put this recipe into rotation going forward for when we have guests over!
Jul 2, 2020
Wish I could give this another five stars. Make sure eggs and butter is at room temperature. Didn't vary from the recipe at all except I didn't use nuts. My whole family is facing over it.
May 27, 2020
We used fresh raspberries for our cake....and came out delicious. As others mentioned, this is a thick, dense, rich cake. It's flavorful and moist, and enjoyed by everyone who ate a slice! Love the brown sugar cinnamon swirl. We used a pretty bundt cake pan (with tulips), but honestly the cake stands by itself without a special pan.
Apr 26, 2020
Uh oh. Didn't work as well as I hoped. Under done though baked longer than recommended by 30 minutes. I'm guessing the following changes for next time: room temperature everything!, don't substitute Greek Yogurt for sour cream (might work, but not chancing it next time) and going to reduce the sugar: it's plenty sweet!
Apr 8, 2020
One of the BEST cakes ever! Agree with cutting back on the brown sugar.
Mar 2, 2020
This is a ten star coffee cake! Cut back on sugar Anne used half tsp. of salt as I use salt free butter. Couldn't find my pecans so used walnuts. It was a wonderful cake!
Feb 6, 2020
This recipe is beyond amazing!! I loved making it and my family just loved it!!
Jan 27, 2020
Have made this recipe several times and is always a hit. Best with fresh blueberries. The addition of the chopped pecans only enhanced the flavor. When preparing the pan, make sure it is well greased and floured.
Jan 25, 2020
I can't figure out what went terribly wrong... I love to bake, and coffee cakes are a big favorite! When I saw this recipe I was eagerly anticipating a delicious bake! I had just got the fancy bundt pan, and was happy to find a recipe that looked like a winner. I don't know what went wrong, but the only changes I made were, I did not add nuts, because one of my guests had nut allergies, and I used raspberries instead of blueberries. After 60 minutes the cake was still not registering as being done when I tested it. So I baked for another 10 minutes, and another 10 minutes after that. It still seemed moist, but it had browned and so I took it out of the oven to cool. When I checked it 10 minutes later the cake had fallen, and the bake was so dense when I cut into it, it looked like it was not baked properly. I went back over the recipe, ingredients, oven temp, and every thing was done as instructed. So disappointed. I ended up throwing it out.
Jan 23, 2020
WOW, this might be new favorite coffee cake recipe. It's so moist and dense and flavorful. It does make a very dense batter. I added my sour cream to my creamed ingredients to save a step. I also used a 9"x13" pan just to save a little time baking and it turned out very well. It doesn't rise much in the oven so what you see with batter is close to what you'll see after baking. I added all the topping to the top instead of swirling in a 9"x13". Next time, I'm going to try some chopped apples in place of blueberries. These would make great muffins as well for a on-the-go breakfast. Really good recipe, thanks for sharing!