Blue Ribbon Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine flour, 2 cups sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine eggs, oil, orange juice and vanilla; add to flour mixture and mix well.
- In a bowl, toss apples with cinnamon and remaining sugar. Spread a third of the batter into a greased 10-in. tube pan. Top with half the apples. Repeat layers. Carefully spread remaining batter over apples.
- Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack; cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 353 calories, 15g fat (2g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Sep 10, 2017
No comment left
Nov 3, 2016
Best apple cake ever!!! The only one I have made for years. My daughter just requested it for her "birthday cake", it's that good.
Dec 4, 2013
I have been making this cake for years; since I found it in a Taste of Home magazine back in the 90's. It gets awesome reviews and I personally LOVE it!! I make the cake itself exactly as directed. Sometimes I dust it with powdered sugar and sometimes I do a simple milk/powdered sugar glaze.
Jan 14, 2013
I love apple pie so I was a little hesitant about making this cake. I'm glad I decided to make it anyway. We loved it.
Jan 11, 2012
Greatest Apple Cake I've ever made.
Oct 21, 2009
I forgot to click on the stars - would rate 5 star!
Oct 21, 2009
This cake is delicious and very moist. I added some chopped walnuts over the apple slices and liked the addition. This was raved over by guests. It kept moist for several days.