Blend of the Bayou
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup cooked rice
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small saucepan, cook and stir cream cheese and 2 tablespoons butter over low heat until melted and smooth.
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, saute onion, celery and green pepper in remaining butter until tender. Stir in shrimp, crab, soup, rice, mushrooms, garlic salt, pepper sauce, cayenne and cream cheese mixture.
- Combine cheddar cheese and cracker crumbs; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, until bubbly, 25-30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 366 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 981mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 23g protein.
Jul 18, 2020
Loved this recipe! Even my other half, who "eats to live" instead of "living to eat" LOVED it and raved about it! I made it exactly except I was out of regular cream of mushroom soup and used golden mushroom soup instead. Though we loved it, I think I would add a little more rice, more mushrooms (fresh!), and maybe substitute one can of crab for some imitation crab. I also went a little light on the hot pepper sauce and cayenne.
Apr 28, 2020
We really loved this! I made the following alterations based on earlier reviews and what I had on hand. I doubled the mushrooms as I wasn't using the cream of mushroom soup. Instead of the cream of mushroom soup I used 16 oz. of lobster bisque to amp up the seafood factor and it worked! We are not into spicy food; so I left out the Cayenne pepper and hot pepper sauce and substituted 3/4 tsp ground red pepper. It was just enough heat for us. I also increased the rice to 1 1/2 cups as I was using more soup than called for. I used 2 lbs of shrimp and no crab. Cause I'm not buying the real stuff and the fake stuff isn't worth it! :) This is a keeper for us; thank you so much for posting it!
Apr 28, 2020
Made this exactly per the recipe. Was bland and too much rice. What a waste of money.
Mar 2, 2020
Outstanding recipe. Made exactly the way it was written. All they family thoroughly enjoyed it
Oct 30, 2019
Outstanding recipe as is! The only thing different I did was use cream cheese light and it was not to rich! Perfect!
Oct 27, 2019
why on earth would anyone use canned mushrooms??:-(( Awful choice when fresh are so much better!
Sep 28, 2019
This recipe is a real favorite of mine. I made it for my brother (the chef) and he was amazed at how good it tasted. I don't change a thing and it's perfect every time.
Sep 16, 2019
I made this just as printed and it was delicious! Very rich though. We will have this again. might have to tone down the cream cheese a bit.
Mar 23, 2014
I use 2 lbs of salad shrimp and leave out the crab. I use crab or lobster bisque instead of cream of mushroom and am generous with the hot sauce. My family loves the slightly modified version.
Feb 23, 2014
This recipe which is ACTUALLY from the cook book collection of recipes gathered from the Lake Charles Junior League of Louisiana members for many years. Some of Louisiana's best! We have been making this for decades and have tweeked the recipe to our tastes. We believe it enhances the original recipe if you are looking for a splurge of flavor and are not concerned with the additional expense. Our modifications to the original recipe are as follows:~ Use dehydrated mushrooms instead of canned~ Add 1 tsp of dried chives~ Add 3/4 lb of diced scallops~ Substitute crackers for Cheese-it Crackers* My son likes his extra spicy, so he even adds some sriracha to kick it up another notch!