Black Forest Icebox Cookies
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen pitted tart cherries (thawed), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry juice blend
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 to 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon cherry brandy
- 1 package (9 ounces) chocolate wafers
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the cherries, juice blend and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; if desired, stir in food coloring. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, combine the mascarpone cheese, confectioners' sugar and brandy. Spread about 1 teaspoon cheese mixture onto each of 20 wafers; layer each with 2 teaspoons cherry mixture. Top with remaining wafers. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking pan.
- Place chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 139 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 81mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Aug 23, 2020
My family loves these. I left out the brandy because well my eight year old didn’t need it. I used a piping bag to put the mascarpone mix on the wafers and had no problem with them breaking.
Dec 7, 2013
The flavor of these cookies was very good but here's a pointer. Buy TWO boxes of the wafers. When you are spreading the cheese the wafers are delicate and break very easily (insert curse words here :-). I ended up not having enough left in the box to put on tops--had to run to the store at 11pm! They also soften up tremedously. When you first make them they are crisp and actually messy to eat. I left them in the fridge overnight and they are really great tasting this morning but may be too soft by this evening. Also, I left out the brandy--didn't want to spend $20 a bottle for just 1 teaspoon.