Black-Eyed Peas ‘n’ Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 to 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute green pepper, onion, jalapeno and garlic until onion is tender. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 6-qt. stockpot, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add remaining ingredients to tomato mixture; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Drain pasta; return to pot. Stir in black-eyed pea mixture.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 266 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 731mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 6g fiber), 11g protein.
Nov 17, 2012
Tried it tonight for the first time. I didnt use the jalapeno pepper, I used a can of chopped green chillies instead. It made the dish spicy, but we all liked it. I think next time I will try without the chillies though and see how it tastes. :) We all had seconds.
Jan 6, 2007
No comment left