Best Vanilla Buttercream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 ounces white baking chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cubed
- In a microwave, melt baking chips with cream until smooth, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla paste and extract. Set aside to cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. With whisk attachment of stand mixer, beat on high speed until cooled to 90°, about 7 minutes. Gradually beat in butter, a few tablespoons at a time, on medium speed until smooth. Beat in cooled baking chip mixture until blended.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 144 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 12, 2020
I made this to frost the Best Vanilla Cake as published in the April 2020 issue. The frosting came out beautifully and had a nice taste. The consistency and fluffiness reminded me of frosting from a bakery cake. I'm giving it 4 stars simply because it contains an overwhelming amount of butter. I see the online recipe says 40 servings, but in the magazine it was shown frosting a 16 serving cake, which is how I used it. It was just so rich that it was hard to finish one small slice and my family ended up leaving most of the frosting in their plates because it was just so rich.
May 17, 2020
This recipe was terrible. I made this along with the Best Vanilla Cake recipe. I followed the recipe exactly how it was written. It turned out like a thick liquid. I added powdered sugar to thicken it up so I could use it (which made it terribly sweet). I would not recommend making this.