I won a first-place trophy with this stuffed squash recipe in a cook-off in 1981. I've made it for family and guests many times since. Each squash has a shiny glaze on top, which makes this a spectacular-looking dish!
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min.
- 3 small acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Russian salad dressing
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Russian salad dressing
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- Place squash cut-side down in a roasting pan and pour water in pan. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine filling ingredients. Remove squash from oven. Increase oven temperature to 375°. Lightly spoon filling into each squash cavity. Combine glaze ingredients and baste meat and top of squash.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, basting with glaze every 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 426 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 774mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 4g fiber), 19g protein.
Jan 3, 2016
Neither of us cared for this recipe.
Sep 12, 2014
Loved the taste of this and so did my husband. I had it years ago and need to make it again!
Nov 3, 2010
No comment left