Beef Brisket Tacos
Birthday parties back home were big gatherings of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents and anyone else we considered family. As soon as guests arrived, hot pans of shredded brisket, or carne deshebrada, appeared, along with frijoles, tostadas, salsas and huge bowls of salad. Brisket was the dish we always counted on because it could be made in the oven or a slow cooker. —Yvette Marquez, Littleton, Colorado Muy Bueno Recipes + Stories
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + marinating Cook: 8 hours
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 cup brisket marinade sauce or liquid smoke plus 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds), fat trimmed
- 20 corn tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Shredded cheddar cheese, lime wedges, media crema table cream, fresh cilantro leaves, thinly sliced green onions, jalapeno slices and salsa, optional
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the first five ingredients. Add brisket; seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Transfer brisket and marinade to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low until tender, 8-10 hours. Remove meat; discard bay leaves. Reserve juices in slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Return to slow cooker.
- Using tongs, serve shredded brisket in tortillas. Add toppings as desired.
- Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture and juices in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Editor’s Note: This is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef. The recipe was tested with Claude's Barbeque Brisket Marinade Sauce.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 278 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Apr 22, 2018
These were absolutely terrific!! I couldn't find a small brisket, but my local Walmart had large (I mean 18-20 pounders) briskets for really cheap. I didn't change ANYTHING.Definitely gonna do this one again!