Beef Bolognese with Linguine
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3-1/2 hours.
Makes18 servings (1 cup each)
- 3 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste, divided
- 9 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock
- 6 bay leaves
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Hot cooked linguine
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a stockpot, cook half of the beef over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Remove beef with a slotted spoon; set aside. Pour off drippings. Repeat with remaining beef.
- In the same stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and celery; cook and stir until tender. Stir in 1 cup tomato paste; cook and stir 3 minutes longer. Add the garlic, seasonings and beef.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until almost evaporated. Add tomatoes, stock and bay leaves; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 3 hours or until desired consistency, stirring in milk halfway through cooking.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese and remaining tomato paste; heat through. Serve with linguine and, if desired, additional cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without pasta and additional cheese): 270 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 929mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Jul 6, 2020
I used 1 pound of ground pork, instead of all ground beef, but stuck closely to the recipe otherwise. It was much, much too salty. Did the pork do that? Next time, I may try cutting out the salt altogether. I wonder if anyone else ran into this. I was very disappointed because the aroma of this dish cooking was wonderful.
Feb 1, 2017
My children request spaghetti almost every week. I was tired of opening the jars and my husband refused to eat them. This recipe saved the day. I used a chopper so the veggies were done in a snap. I would highly recommend chopping everything in advance. I did add more seasoning and less milk. This one was/is a definite winner. I loved that I was able to freeze enough for three additional meals.
Apr 21, 2016
Really delicious and worth the effort. Only made 1/3 of the recipe to try it out but will definitely make more next time!
Sep 18, 2014
Used 93% ground beef and nonfat milk; pureed the onion, carrot and celery as DH refuses to eat these vegetables cooked. Fooled him -- we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite a bit of work, even using the food processor on the veggies; lot of can opening. Misread the recipe and threw in the milk, cheese and remaining tomato paste at the same time. Didn't hurt a thing. Even with cutting the amount to a third, it made a huge amount of sauce. Will be freezing it for future use. And will be making it again.
Jun 23, 2014
Wonderful recipe full of flavor. This would be a 5 star if it added pork to the beef as well for more deeper flavor, but this is delish too the way it is. Thanks for sharing.
May 13, 2014
First bolognese I have tried, and it was delicious! The aroma in my kitchen all day drew our farm workers inside with mouth's watering! It is packed full of meat, which my husband loved. I used 2 pounds ground beef and 1 pound ground pork as we like the added taste of some pork in many dishes. I also used a white cooking wine instead of the red, and the flavor was really good. Lots of meat, and the veggies in the sauce make this a hearty sauce for your favorite pasta. Add a salad and dinner is served. Super!!
Mar 30, 2014
Great flavor! Definitely will keep this as a go to for a hearty flavorful meat sauce. It made such a large batch I froze 1/2 to have for another meal. It freezes well and tasted amazing.
Mar 17, 2014
I made this just as it says and my family loved it! great flavor.
Nov 27, 2013
Very good! Didn't use quite as much olive oil, maybe 1/4 c, only 2 tsp salt and that was plenty for us. Otherwise everything as written.
Nov 18, 2013
Sounds wonderfully can't wait to try it thank you