Beef and Cabbage Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1-1/2 cups shredded peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- Additional taco sauce, optional
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon onion salt. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add cabbage; saute over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chilies, taco sauce and remaining pepper and onion salt. Spoon into potato crust; bake another 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 2-3 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with additional taco sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Sep 27, 2018
Much like a cottage or shepherd's pie but with different ingredients...delicious! I substituted riced butternut squash for the shredded potatoes. I didn't have taco sauce (smooth) so I used a medium heat salsa. It was an easy recipe to prepare, and I will make it again.
Aug 18, 2014
Very good hearty , economical dish.Made it one night when I was looking for something a little different using ingredients I had on hand.
May 17, 2007
No comment left