Beef and Bacon Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 12 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 to 3 cups diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 4 cups milk
- 3 to 4 cups diced peeled potatoes, cooked and drained
- 2 cups sliced fresh carrots, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; pour off drippings and remove bacon to paper towel to drain.
- In the same skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink and the vegetables are tender; drain. Add the soup, milk, potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and reserved bacon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through. Garnish with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 214 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein.
Feb 2, 2014
We had this tonight for supper and everyone loved it. I agree with a previous review that 2 tsp of salt would be too much. I just added salt to taste. This recipe will go into my regular rotation!
Feb 10, 2013
This is a very tasty soup but called for WAY too much salt, and I'm not typically shy about using it. Maybe bacon varies in it's salt content but 1/2 tsp. would have been plenty instead of the 2 tsp. it called for. I recommend tasting the soup before adding the salt.
Oct 6, 2009
This has become one of our family favorites.
Oct 25, 2008
No comment left